Written by: Alexis Moore
If you’re looking to add some bounce and curl to your hair without heat damage, flexi rods are a fantastic option. Flexi rods are flexible, foam-covered rods that can create beautiful curls and waves when used correctly. Whether you have straight, wavy, or curly hair, this article will guide you through the process of flexi rod styling, helping you achieve stunning curls that are sure to turn heads.
Step 1: Gather the Necessary Supplies
Before diving into flexi rod styling, it’s important to gather all the supplies you’ll need:
1. Flexi rods: Available in various sizes, choose the ones that suit your desired curl size. Smaller rods will create tighter curls, while larger rods will yield looser waves.
2. Styling products: Choose a lightweight styling mousse, curling cream, or setting lotion to prep your hair for the styling process.
3. Wide-toothed comb: Use this to detangle your hair and ensure even distribution of styling products.
4. Hair clips: These will help section and hold your hair as you work through the styling process.
5. Hairspray or setting spray: This will help set the curls and keep them in place.
Step 2: Prepare Your Hair
Before applying flexi rods, it’s essential to start with clean, dry, and detangled hair. Follow these steps to prepare your hair:
1. Wash your hair with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner that suits your hair type.
2. Gently towel dry your hair to remove excess moisture. Avoid rough towel drying as it can cause frizz.
3. Apply a leave-in conditioner or a heat protectant spray to protect your hair from any potential heat damage.
4. Comb through your hair with a wide-toothed comb to remove any tangles and distribute the product evenly.
Step 3: Section and Roll
Now it’s time to section your hair and roll it onto the flexi rods:
1. Divide your hair into small, manageable sections using hair clips. Start from the nape of your neck and work your way up.
2. Take a small section of hair and spritz it with water or a curl-enhancing spray if needed. This will help create more defined curls.
3. Apply a small amount of styling product to the section, starting from the roots and working it down to the ends. Make sure the hair is evenly coated but not overly saturated.
4. Take a flexi rod and place it at the end of the section of hair. Roll the hair around the rod, working your way up towards the scalp. Secure the rod in place by bending the ends.
5. Repeat the process until all sections of your hair are wrapped around flexi rods.
Step 4: Let Your Hair Dry
Allow your hair to dry completely before removing the flexi rods. The drying process may take several hours, so it’s recommended to flexi rod your hair before going to bed. You can also use a hooded dryer or a diffuser attachment on a low heat setting to speed up the drying process.
Step 5: Remove the Flexi Rods
Once your hair is completely dry, gently remove the flexi rods:
1. Start by unraveling each flexi rod carefully and avoid pulling or tugging on your hair.
2. If needed, separate the curls gently with your fingers to create more volume and definition.
3. To ensure the curls last longer, you can lightly mist your hair with hairspray or a setting spray.
Step 6: Style and Maintain Your Curls
Now that you have stunning curls, you can style them to your preference:
1. Use your fingers or a wide-toothed comb to style the curls and create your desired look.
2. Avoid excessive touching or brushing, as this can cause frizz and disrupt the curl pattern.
3. To maintain the curls, sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase or tie your hair up with a silk or satin scarf.
4. Refresh your curls on subsequent days by spritzing them with water and applying a small amount of curl-defining product.
Flexi rod styling offers a heat-free way to achieve gorgeous curls and waves. By following these step-by-step instructions, you can successfully flexi rod your hair and enjoy beautiful, bouncy curls that are sure to make a statement. Experiment with different rod sizes and products to find what works best for your hair type, and embrace your newfound curly hairstyle with confidence.